[TenTec] Re Please tell me about the TT Omni VI+

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Fri Oct 1 09:14:40 EDT 2004

KX2A wrote:
 >*   they both make products that are among the best at what they do, but
they rely
     on proven rather than latest-fad technology;

         Jan, speaking as the owner of two BMW vehicles (1995 R1100RS bike and
1993 M5 auto), I agree with much of what you said.  However, I believe BMW
IS among the first to introduce new technology (not cosmetics but true
performance-oriented technology).  For example, I believe BMW was the
first to offer fuel injection, ABS disc braking and catalytic converters
on their bikes.  Their vehicles also have had many firsts, especially in the
areas of handling and engine performance.  Overall, BMW is very focused
on performance (meaning handling, acceleration, braking, etc) although the
motorcycle division is not as focused on racing as their vehicle division
(but BMW bikes have been surprisingly successful in the Paris-Dakar
off-road race in recent years).

         Likewise, Ten-Tec has often been first to introduce new technologies
like QSK, DSP, firmware downloads, etc.  Like BMW, the character of the
company is more focused on performance issues, and less so on other
issues like displays, general coverage, etc.

 >*   users in both groups are seen by others as fanatic (this is not true,
the fact is
     that people who own other products are all crazy)

         This is probably true but for a reason.  Performance-oriented people
are attracted to both BMW and Ten-Tec.  People who have other "hot buttons"
are more attracted to other products.  It's really a case of apples and oranges
driven by the needs of different types of people.  Neither is really "crazy";
they are simply driven internally by different sets of needs.  Thus each
group may appear to be "crazy" when viewed through the eyes of the other group.
This same phenomena is no more evident than in the election process we're now
in the midst of.

         Thanks for the interesting digression and observations.

                                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  The gearbox in my R1100RS is still clunky although I've learned how
to shift it more smoothy.  In stark contrast, the gearbox in my M5 borders
on ecstasy...its absolute silky perfection still gives me a thrill every
time I shift it.  Why doesn't the motorcycle division talk to the vehicle
division???