[TenTec] QSK-5

Steve N4LQ n4lq at iglou.com
Sun Oct 10 11:04:23 EDT 2004

I bought an external QSK-5 and ended up blowing the front end out of my rig.
The instruction manual is non rig/amp specific and requires allows for a lot
of interpretation and requires some rigging. Since this happened, I've run
across 3 other hams who had the same experience so I'm not alone! BTW: I was
using an AL-1200 amp. Many others have bought Ameritron amps with the
internal QSK-5 and had good results. Perhaps there is less room for error
that way. And yes, "theoretically" you should be able to use it with any amp
you mentioned by just leaving the amp's relay activated.
Personally, I won't try another one. Depending on some light bulbs and
diodes to protect an expensive rig is too risky. My latest QSK QRO
arrangement is a slightly modified Omni VI with it's tx key voltage driving
a switching transistor which in turn keys an Icom PW-1 amp. The PW-1 is
totally automatic and remote controlled. The amp is terribly noisy with it's
4 loud fans and keying relay so I installed the amp on the other side of the
wall and have a totally silent, automatic QSK system.
Steve N4LQ