[TenTec] Re: Orion Firmware

Tommy aldermant at alltel.net
Sun Oct 10 15:33:13 EDT 2004

Well Merle, of course you can think what you like, it really doesn't bother
me nor does it help me.

I purchased an Orion and a Titan 3, as part of my retirement planning. I
purchased those rigs to use and certainly not to sit at a damn keyboard and
post to any reflector. I have enjoyed this hobby for 53 years and I
certainly enjoy operating excellent performing equipment a hell of a lot
more than I do sitting here posting information about things that do not
work correct.

At one time I had two Orions, in an attempt to solve the problems I have
with running my Titan 3 with the Orions. The Orion is a well designed
hardware system, but it is the firmware that, in my opinion, still is not
working correct. Since just sitting here complaining about the Orion not
working in the manner of previous Ten Tec equipment, and just bitching about
it on this reflector would not solve anything, I volunteered to be a
firmware beta tester.

So, to answer your second question, my information is not  'second hand', I
am actively involved in helping others test the beta firmware. Are you? (I
can answer that and say NO, you are not.)

Yes, I said my Orion was sitting on the floor, on it's shipping box. At this
time, and until my Orion will sucessfully operate full QSK up to 30 or 40
wpm CW with my  new  Titan 3, that is where it will remain. I have four
other older Ten Tec radios that do work flawless with the Titan 3, so I use
them, primarily an Omni 6 Plus, to continue operating on the air, until the
firmware is good enough to put the Orion back on my desk.

When you are accepted by Ten Tec as a beta firmware tester, you are asked to
not divulge any information about the testing. I try my best to honor that
request. But when it has been some time period since the last firmware
release, and an Orion user expresses concern about not only when, but is Ten
Tec actually going to release another firmware update, I can honestly
reassure the Orion owner that Ten Tec is dilligently and continiously
workning on a new release. But that is as far as I will go with the
information.

And no Merle, you are incorrect. I did not say I did not like the Orion's
performance. I have stated several times however, that in my opinion, the
Orion is one of the best hardware design's available to the ham market. And
I still believe that. When the firmware for the Orion gets to the point
where it will operate in conjunction with the Ten Tec Titan 3 amplifier in
the manner which Ten Tec says it should, then, in my case, the Orion will be
my primary equipment. Again, until that time, it will sit on  it's shipping
box.

I bought the Orion and the Titan 3 solely for the purpose of using it, and
not for the purpose of having something to complain about on this reflector.
Just like everyone has the right to do, I purchased it and if it does not
operate correctly, I think direct to Ten Tec and on this reflector is the
place to discuss it. Because I am  unhappy with the firmware flaws in the
Orion DOES NOT say that all Ten Tec gear is bad. If it did, than I have
about nine pieces of Ten Tec gear I should get rid of.

Tom - W4BQF