[TenTec] Jupe+n4py+mixw2

designer designer at quickdata.com
Thu Oct 14 02:59:06 EDT 2004

Jerome,

I have used DXSoft's FREE CW Type program (the companion CW Get has
is not Free). It is great, with lots of macro capability and speed
control - and it doesn't use a sound card interface - it keys the cw
jack as a straight key (Rig Keyer control OFF).

You come out of the computer's serial port and into a circuit of
maybe two resistors, two diodes, and one transistor - all cheap parts
at radio shack. If you get the larger radio shack Serial plug body,
you can put the circuit inside. Then all you have is a cable with a
serial plug at one end and an appropriate phone plug at the other.
For my Argo I have a 1/8th stereo plug with the ring unused.

Configuring CW Type is not obvious, but there are a few web sites
that give exact parameters (also the circuit diagram mentioned
above.). Start by looking at the description of CW Type at
www.dxsoft.com and follow the review links. One will show the keying
circuit and from there, or a google link, I also found the a
configuration help page.

Again - setting it up, parameters and such, is not obvious. But once
it's happy and "speaking" from software to key/plug, it works well.

Did I mention that it's free.

73,
Paul