[TenTec] Disolving pto grease

Ynkedragon at aol.com Ynkedragon at aol.com
Thu Oct 14 18:55:08 EDT 2004

In a message dated 10/13/2004 18:48:32 Eastern Daylight Time, n4lq at iglou.com
writes:

> I've been using WD40 to dissolve old PTO grease but am looking for
something
> better. WD is slow and requires a lot of manual cleaning to completely
remove
> all the goo. Keep in mind that some of the parts are plastic so I don't
want
> anything that would soften it. Any recommendations?

I've always had good luck with (cigarette) lighter fluid, the kind you'd use
in a Zippo lighter.  It's much less dangerous than gasoline (though still
flammable), effective as a solvent, and leaves little or no residue.  I have not
experienced any plastic damage--so far--but I've only been using it for 20
years.  The fluid is cheap and available at almost any supermarket.

73, K3YD