[TenTec] Disolving pto grease

Steve N4LQ n4lq at iglou.com
Sat Oct 16 09:24:53 EDT 2004

Thanks for all the suggestions. Considering that so many things dissolve
grease, its a wonder any grease still exists in this world!
Paint thinner, mineral spirits, was one of the first suggestions. I had
plenty of this on hand so I put all the parts in a plastic margarine tub and
covered it with the thinner. The next day, most of the grease was floating
in the tub. Results were similar to WD40 but maybe a bit cheaper. I cleaned
all the parts with a rag and Qtips.
I used my usual silicon grease and everything went back together easily. Now
the PTO is perfectly smooth.

I appreciate the comments from those who simply squirted some forms of lube
such as TriFlow in the PTO and let it go at that. Personally I just don't
feel right leaving that scum in the PTO although it would save a lot of time
if it works.
Well the old Corsair is back together now after several hours of cleaning
and polishing the front panel and knobs.
I used DeoxIT to clean the controls. RadioShack is now selling this stuff.
73
Steve N4LQ