[TenTec] Didn't take 30 days

Gary Tuck gtuck at mac.com
Thu Sep 2 21:52:45 EDT 2004

Only took a couple of days to decide on keeping the Orion.  When
switching back and forth with my TS 850S/AT (InRad 400 Hz filters in
both IF's), there is nothing I cannot hear on the Orion that I can on
the TS-850---but the NR and NB's are tremendous.  It's incredible to
hear the noise just drop away.  Listening is so much more pleasurable
in the city now!.  Also love being able to tailor the AGC action--not
that I'm doing any more than following others recommendations as
starting points at this time.  Also enjoy being able to adjust sidetone
volume on the fly.

The flexibility of configuring virtually every other option seems more
like a challenge at this point --keep on ending up in the wrong mode or
readjusting BW from 6000 to 500.  Or wondering why I've no sound.
Trying to listen to WWV on the sub receiver--or actually getting back
to the ham bands-- has ended me in a feature maze more often than not.
But--I, too, will learn.

One of the first questions I had for the most helpful folks on this
list was about low impedance phones and audio hiss.  No problem there
at all.  Very quiet except for some AGC pop on the leading edge of
strong signals and the same while transmitting in QSK.  Also need to
learn how to use the band stacking registers and memories more
effectively.  And not jump when the AT shrieks and growls.

Anyway, enough newbie chatter.  Just appreciate everyone's kind help in
making the decision to order an Orion and answer my "basic questions."

Gary W7TEA