[TenTec] Re: [Ten-Tec] Alas, not for me - more

Bob Henderson bob at cytanet.com.cy
Fri Sep 3 02:02:44 EDT 2004

Hi Ken

Nothing to disagree with there, though a little to add.  Poor design at any
stage in the signal path is going to prejudice dynamic range.

More and more folks now accept, that it's close-in dynamic range which
really matters in the way we use our radios.  Measurement at 20 kHz tells us
very little of use.  We're better off with measurement at 5 kHz but that's
still a veritable football field so far as CW is concerned.  Roofing filters
place less demands on those stages following them where signal levels are
higher.  Selectable roofing filters such as those provided in Orion can
really enhance performance in this area.  Independent tests verify this.

http://www.sherweng.com/Dayton_2004/Dynamic_Range_Data.pdf

If tests were routinely carried out on radios at 2 kHz, 1 kHz and 500 Hz we
would really start to see an interesting picture develop.  I guess everyone
would then see the limitations inherrent in the design of tranceivers using
a vhf first IF, where narrow roofing filters aren't available.  Somehow, I
suspect Yaecomwood would be rather less than enthusiastic about that  :-))

Bob, 5B4AGN