[TenTec] Jupiter vs other rigs in same price range

Charles Greene W1CG at QSL.NET
Thu Sep 2 16:53:38 EDT 2004

Hi,

Our club is considering buying a Jupiter.  I have never seen one, let alone
operated one.  We plan to get and show the company video on it.  Other rigs
under consideration are an ICOM 746PRO and a K2/100.  Important features
are the ability of new/non-technical hams to operate, performance in field
day or a field day type environment with another rig on adjacent bands,
filters,  DPS NR and ability to operate CW (preferably QSK), phone and
digital.  I have a K2/100 and borrowed a IC746PRO to set it aside the
K2/100 and do an A/B comparison.  I know spec wise, the K2 has the best
receiver in most things important, but specs aren't all the game.  I used
my K2/100 on last field day, and other operators had no problems with most
things, but DSP was not one of them; too hard to operate its DSP NR.  The
previous two years, I used my OMNI-VI for field day, but it had some
problems in the field day environment.  You couldn't read the dial in
sunlight for one.

How does the Jupiter stack up against the two aforementioned rigs?

TNX for the information