[TenTec] Sweep display freezing on Orion

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Mon Sep 6 16:57:16 EDT 2004

N4LQ wrote:
 >The PRO 2 out performed it in every respect except for
BDR and I couldn't find enough QRM to even verify that measurement.
I had lockups, hang-ups, dropouts, poor performance in QRN and even total
front end overload from BC stations.

         That's very interesting Steve.  Your BC overload statement does
not compute.
If you think you saw BC front end overload (which is the same thing as BDR) on
Orion, you would have seen over 35 dB worse overload on a Pro 2 at the 5-10
kHz spacings typical for BC stations on 40 meters.  Compare Swept BDR here:

http://www.arrl.org/members-only/prodrev/pdf/lab/IC756pro2.pdf (p. 21 upper
graph)
http://www.arrl.org/members-only/prodrev/pdf/lab/orion_etrr.pdf (p. 19
lower left)

         Are you sure you weren't hypnotized by that pretty display?  ;-)

                                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV