[TenTec] new owner Orion

RM royalct at inr.net
Wed Sep 8 19:28:40 EDT 2004

Come On Skip,

My Icom 765 didn't come with a Mike; my Icom 775DSP didn't come with a mike
and that radio  without the filters cost more that the Orion with all of the
optional filters and antenna tuner............

"This is piss poor American quality control."  You are or were an American
worker, right?

I agree that the manual needs more work for the average ham.  The few rare
occasions that I go to the manual, I do have a time finding specific
functions.

Quality, I could tell you how quality was taken out of the two Icoms I have
here....cheap paper capacitors, tuning encoders that freeze up, dual
recievers that fed back on the DX CW receive frequency........ Didn't have a
30 day return policy or free changes on defective designs.......

As far as the 'cheap' display..... I'll say thanks for providing a lower
cost alternative for a digital display. TenTec did send out a questionnaire
several months ago in which part of it addressed color displays for the
Orion........  My response was that the B/W display is adequate, and that
color would be a 'nice' feature but not at raising the cost of the
radio...... We all have trade offs.....

I've done an a/b comparision with the Orion/Icom 775.  In tough DX/Contest
conditions the Orion blows away the the Icom 775DSP.....  But I spent a lot
of time of learning to manipulate the AGC system on this rig.......

Ron .... NU1U
As you probably noticed by my number of posts this evening, I'M Bored....The
bands aren't too lively tonight.