[TenTec] N4PY software Orion

Jim Reid jimr.reid at verizon.net
Wed Sep 8 20:14:58 EDT 2004

> Has anyone noticed that those who use the N4PY software seem to
> have less problems with the Orion's firmware?
> Now what does this tell us?

I used Carl's software control now for three radios,  two by Ten Tec,
the Pegasus and the Orion,  neither of which do I have any longer.
I chose to downsize my amateur radio set up,  a BIG downsize:
no more Orion,  no more 400 pound Henry linear,  nor little
40 pound solid state linear,  no more RX-340 (which also used
Carl's software) and no more GPS HP rcvr to keep the 340
dead on the set frequency,  and by linkage,  the Orion!!

But,  still am using Carl's software with my 14 or so year old
Kenwood TS-950SD (yes,  the one the ARRL labs hit so
hard in the review back in Jan. of '91,  which caused Kenwood
to output the 950SDX a year or so later).  And with Carl's software,
it seems "almost" like I am still using either the Peg or the Orion!!

MDS,  BDR and sensitivity they measured for the 950SD,
you might be shocked!!).

Why,  the virtual radio on the computer monitor is nearly identical --
nearly because it lacks any "slider" controls, of which there were
several for the Orion and a couple at least as I recall for the Peg.
Anyway,  yes,  Carl's software makes operating any radio for
which he has the goods a terrific pleasure to use/operate.
Tuning,  split,  RIT/XIT controls and all the other applicable,
are in the same place and operate exactly the same way for
all three radios!  And easy,  problem free operation.

I do have the Kenwood SM-230 pan-adapter IF rcvr
for the 950,  so don't use Carl's sweep display much,  but
it is there for the 950 should I choose to use it.

Unfortunately,  Kenwood did not provide too many functions
in the 1990 designed radio to which a computer control can
be attached!  But still,  the real basics are all there,  including
split control,  dual rcv anywhere in the HF spectrum,  etc.,etc.
But the AGC cannot be adjusted nor the pass band tuning,  stuff
like that.

And,  yes,  I truly miss my Orion,  but just had too much CASH
into it for this period of my life,  hi,.

Best to all and 73,  Jim  (still KH7M,  waiting for my return to
an earlier life of 5 1/2 decades ago nearly when I became a ham
with the call W6KPI,  be another three weeks or so,  I guess.)