[TenTec] New Orion

Grant Youngman nq5t at comcast.net
Wed Sep 8 23:09:15 EDT 2004

> The display problem still bothers me.  If you set the contrast and
> leave the radio on for a few hours it's fine.  The next day when you
> turn it back on it needs to be adjusted agn. Is this normal.

No.  Once you set contrast, it should stay set where you left it unless you
do a reset (which will return it to factory default).  It should behave as set
and forget and not be altered by a simple power cycle.  It's a global
setting, and is not separately stored with USERn data.

Complete schematics are on line at http://www.rfsquared.com

> I'm amazed at the antenna tuner.  The noise, sounds like relays
> clicking in and out rather then an inductor tuning.

It's an OEM LDG tuner.  The relays are switching lumped reactances.
There is no rotary inductor.

> Another question, the mode doesn't change all the time when I switch
> bands. If I'm working CW on 80 and change to the 20 mtr cw band the
> mode goes to SSB.

That's normal.  Mode does not change depending on the part of the band
you are in.  It changes to the mode that was last used on that band (and it
is also saved with each band stacking register).  So you can set up
stacking registers with a mid-frequency in the CW band and CW mode,
or mid-frequency SSB band with SSB mode, or whatever.  It's pretty
flexible in that regard.  But if you are just bouncing from 80 to 40 and
back to 80, for example, the 80M frequency and mode setting will look
just like it did when you left it.  And just because you tune from 14.3 down
to 14.003, the mode won't automatically go to CW.

Grant/NQ5T