[TenTec] Re: Rig standardization

Steve Muldoon stevemuldoon at mac.com
Thu Sep 9 21:17:52 EDT 2004

Hi Stuart -

Your comments are on the mark.  What you are suggesting is exactly the
direction automobile manufacturers have been moving for electrical
connectors.  Much of this activity is being led by the USCAR
organization in the US.  OEMs are beginning to understand the overall
benefit (economic and engineering system design) of electrical
connector standardization across the OEMs in certain areas or for
particular applications.

However, I think that the accessory market is probably one area that is
lucrative in amateur radio, so part and connection scheme proliferation
plays into that business model.

(To keep this focused on Ten Tec) - I think their approach of keeping
most of the I/O simple and accessible with commonly available (and
available from multiple sources) types of connectors makes sense.  If
we could only get the "other" guys to do it like Ten Tec (hihi).

Just my 2 cents.

Steve - N8KOM