[TenTec] Orion bug video AND important information from ON6CV

Jason Buchanan jsb at digistar.com
Sun Sep 12 09:19:28 EDT 2004

Eric SENSI wrote:

>I started making some contacts (finally !) and from time to time, I pushed
>the "send 1" or "send 2" regarding the situation and the radio NEVER fails !

I'm not surprised a bit at your success - I work for a company that
develops software and I have to experience situations like the one you
described.  Many times you can follow the same steps and nothing seems
to change but by tweaking the order or the path just a little bit things
magically start working.  My guess is that when you performed a few
master resets to erase as much "residue" of the previous version, you
cleaned out a small chunk of memory somewhere that needed to be
completely erased.  This could be an indicator that the software itself
is fine but the firmware flashing program that is supposed to erase the
memory before writing the new firmware could be flawed.

Software manufacturing is done today on a scale that is prohibitive of
recursion testing that was possible 30 years ago.  NASA is a good
example of skipping tests in the interests of getting things out the
door on time.  Years ago, we put men on the moon using slide rules and
pencils  -  today we have computers which can process billions of
equations saving millions of man-hours but because those man-hours were
saved (and thereby an engineer did not monitor each calculation made)
things slip through the cracks - the level of qualitative testing is
essentially eliminated because we rely on the computer instead of
inspecting everything by hand.  And remember, what you save in labor you
make up for with time, and what you save in time you make up for with labor.

TenTec obviously is working very hard to develop the firmware for the
Orion - perhaps the level of desire to rush the previous version out the
door exceeded the level of desire to give it a good rigorous testing.
Perhaps the amount of grumbling over the existing version will give them
the right signals to delay the release until it really is solid.

I don't know if this explanation will help those of you who have been
frustrated with your Orion but hopefully it will give you some idea what
is going on in the world of software development today.  It's very
difficult and is a relatively thankless job.

And regarding eHam, I believe it is irresponsible on their part to
prevent going back and editing your review or at least to change the
rating.  I don't think they're doing anyone a favor by providing a
"ranking" system - the guy who posted a review right after ON6CV had the
same complaints but still gave the radio a 5/5.  Makes no sense.  Reader
beware.

73 Jason N1SU