[TenTec] 6N2

Mark Erbaugh mark at microenh.com
Wed Sep 22 18:57:48 EDT 2004

Paul,

I have a 6N2.  If you are looking primarily for a 2m FM radio for repeater
work, I wouldn't recommend it. The FM performance is not up to that of
current 2m FM mobile rigs (which can be bought for a lot less). If you are
primarily interested in SSB or CW and use FM on occasion, then the 6N2 would
be worth looking into. Of course, if you also want 6m that's another reason
to look at the 6N2.

Here are my concerns about 2m FM operation:
No touch tone capability
No CTCSS squelch (it will do CTCSS encode)
No digital coded squelch (DCS)
While it does have an adjustable repeater offset, the offset does not "know"
the standard band plan. You have to select the direction of the offset. The
offset can be saved in memory though.  Also, there is no quick button to
check the repeater input.
The normal squelch is problematic. There are two types of squelch. In the
one setting, it tends to clip strong signals (I have a five mile straight
shot to the local repeater). In the other setting the squelch tail is really
long.

I don't have much in the way of 6m or 2m antennas, but I have played a
little with SSB and it does work well there.

73,
Mark