[TenTec] hardware vs software

skip k3cc at fast.net
Thu Sep 23 23:51:44 EDT 2004

 I have been a process engineer for many years and use to converting old
pneumatic/electrical devices to computer controlled devices.

I see little difference in the new software controlled radio's.

eg. Tuning of the VFO is done with a knob connected to chopper with a LED
shining though it. The counts if the light indicate the wave form, voltage
whatever it's converted to.

By adding different algorithms similar to a ramp function the speed of the
tuning rate could be controlled.

The hardware is in place, I don't know the control scheme, but there has to
be someone who can enlighten us , share source code etc.

I agree that a schematic of the Orion would have nice if it were included.
The block diagram is ok.  Maybe there is an Orion Repair manual  ??????

The Orion is like a new toy with many possibilities if it is open
architecture.
I'm enjoying it one step at a time.  The one service that Ten Tec offers is
a willingness to listen and help the customer.
Regardless of what we think about the display, sweep problems, etc.
I have owned a lot of Jap radio's over my 40 + years in Ham radio. I never
once talked to the president of there companies or got any insight from the
repair/service department.

As far as spending money, I disabled and live a fixed income with my wife
who was disabled by a stroke last year. I chose  to buy the Orion because of
the rcvr performance and the idea that upgrades could be common place with
newer software downloads and the  parts that went into the Orion where
common not proprietary  as in the far east stuff.

Tnx fer the bandwidth    de Skip   K3CC