[TenTec] More on the Omni 6/opt 3

Toby Pennington toby423 at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 29 21:35:04 EDT 2004

We all have different opinions about radios and what we like and dislike about them.  I owned an Omni 6 /opt 3 for a while and traded it for the Orion.

The Omni was an excellent cw rig,  the best I ever had. If you are a cw operator you could not go wrong with getting this rig.  Also, the rig was very stable and on frequency all day long and I had no RFI problems even running the amp.  SSB was adaquate but narrow with communications quality audio. ( I miss the clock! )  It seemed to be  expensive when compared with the same vintage JA rigs (this was about a year and a half ago that I bought it) but I liked the idea of dealing with the factory direct and Ten- Tec service is a legend in these parts.  I also like the idea of supporting  U. S. manufacturers where possible.

Those are my thoughts and experiences about my Omni, not much to go on, but I hope it helps.

Toby W4CAK