[TenTec] Omni 6+ audio distortion trouble question

Jerald Volpe KG6TT at tomorrowsweb.com
Thu Sep 30 03:29:35 EDT 2004

On 20-meter PSK earlier today I received a report of unusual distortion
on my signal. Sure enough I looked at my signal on a separate receiver
using Digipan and one half of the audio signal was broken up with
distortion. It appeared as perpendicular spikes extending from the true
lower PSK frequency tone to up to 20 or more hz below. Switching to LSB
moved the distortion to the opposite tone. Testing to a dummy load did
not change this. Replacing the PSK audio signal with a tone from my
monitor scope's two-tone audio output brought the same distortion on the
single tone. Changing bands cleared the problem up but returning to
20-meters again brought it back. I could not create the problem on any
other band. I ran the audio in both the audio in jacks and the mic
connector with the same results. I ran the audio into my Omni-C and
20-meters was fine (exact same hookup). No matter of simplification
changed the distortion. So after a bit I decided on trying one more
possibility... I turned the transceiver off and then on again and the
problem disappeared.

Anyone else seen this type of behavior before? I know this is abnormal
so please, no Omni-6+ bashing. I sent off an email to Ten-Tec service
already (before I hit the off/on switch of course) nevertheless thought
this was interesting enough of a problem to share with the all.

Jerald, KG6TT