[TenTec] Trade: Drake 4 Line for Corsair II/I

Jason Reber jreber at sisna.com
Thu Sep 30 17:25:31 EDT 2004

Jim Reid wrote:

> Jason Reber wrote:
>

>> * Trade: Drake 4 Line for Corsair II / I*     I have a nice Drake T-4XC
>

>> R-4B, and MS-4/AC-4 station that I would
>>    like to trade for a nice Corsair II or possibly a Corsair I, either
>>    preferably with CW filter (500 Hz). Drake station is in very nice
>>    shape electrically and physically.  Pictures and detailed
>>    information available on request.
>>

> Hi Jason,
>
> That sounds interesting!  I have a Corsair II along with the 961 PS
> for it.
> Rig was back at Ten Tec in August of 2000 when its'  PTO was rebuilt;
> they also fixed some other odds/ends,  charged $275 for all.  I have the
> paper work about that,  and the manual for the rig plus the CQ magazine
> review about the Corsair II of  September 1988.
>
> Rig is in fine shape,  and does have three filters within,  including
> one Inrad,
> but it and the stock TT filter are SSB bandwidths.  Also has,  what I
> presume
> is a 500 Hz CW filter, which works fine.  Has no markings on it that I
> can
> find,  so can't tell you about the CW filter exactly.
>
> If interested,  send along the info about your Drake station.
>
> I also have the external VFO for this Corsair,  but have not used
> that in some years.  It is now "lost" somewhere in its box; either out
> in the garage,  or maybe in the attic!
>
> I have the TT shipping boxes for the Corsair and PS.
>
> Interesting offer,  Jason!
>
> 73,  Jim  W6KPI (was KH7M up until last week,  but still in Hawaii)

Jim, I'll take a bunch of pictures and send them to you tonight. I love
the Drake gear, but I have always wanted a Corsair II since I was a kid.
I remember when they first came out- I was only about 16, and couldn't
possibly afford one. I picked up the Drake station about a year ago, and
it's been my only station since. I use it on 40, 15, and 20 (since
that's all the bands I have antennas for), and it tunes up and works
well on both SSB and CW. It has extended crystals for 160 M, and
28.5-29.0 Mhz. It tunes nicely, and puts out well over 100 watts into my
dipoles.. The T4 and R4 are both in fine shape, with few cosmetic
blemishes. Both faces are in excellent shape, and all knobs are original
and in sound condition. I'll try to get good pics for you. The MS4/AC4
has a few more blemishes, but no major scratches. Again, I'll get some
good pictures taken tonight and send them to you. I have the original
manuals for the TX and RX. The interconnect cables from RX to TX
(coaxial RCA) are not original Drake cables, but  they work just fine.
All lights are working on RX and TX. The PTOs work well. I usually use
the TX VFO as master because I like the way the dial is marked, and the
feel of the dial,  but the RX VFO works just as well.

You're in Hawaii, eh?  That certainly sounds nice! Have not been there
for 3 years, but it sure is a beautiful place. The ocean is fabulous
there- like no where else I have ever been. What would shipping from
Utah to Hawaii run for the Drake station? I would have to ship it in 3
tremedously well packed boxes. However, your station sounds real nice so
I would be willing to ship it there. Let me know  if you have any other
questions, and I'll get the pictures sent tonight.

Take care-
Jason