[TenTec] Re Please tell me about the TT Omni VI+

ditzian at alltel.net ditzian at alltel.net
Thu Sep 30 20:39:09 EDT 2004

>I find a lot of similarities between TenTec loyalists and BMW Motorcycle
>loyalists. It's difficult to ignore someone advising to buy another brand
>when there are so many reasons to try the TenTec (or the BMW)...at least
>once. I personally have heard many more stories of a lack of support with
>the other brands than with these two brands. BMW is still making parts for
>bikes over 50 years old. TenTec is still trading in and supplying parts
>for decades old rigs. There are lots of great people in the other
>companies, but it's hard not to be passionate about passionate caring
>companies. BTW, I think anybody who could learn to work on their own gear
>before could work with SMT. Chuck, KE9UW

Boy, did this hit home.  I have not operated my Omni VI much this summer--I was
too busy putting my 31-year-old BMW R75/5 back on the road.  Of course, the
dealer has batteries, filters, bolts, nuts, rubber parts, gaskets, even replacement
fenders.  Ten-Tec and BMW (motorcycles) are similar in important ways:

*   they both make products that are among the best at what they do, but they rely
    on proven rather than latest-fad technology;

*   the user populations of both products include a large number of people who try
    maintenance and repair on their own rather than bringing the product to the
    shop;

*   you will hardly find two instances of either product that look exactly alike after a
    few years, because there are so many custom add-ons or modifications;

*   both have very large, very active, internet discussion groups, which also
    account for a substantial amount of the circulation of used radios/motorcycles;

*   people in both user groups are often very proud of the fact that they own not
    one, but three or more radios/motorcycles by these makers;

*   members of these groups who own other manufacturers' products often
    apologize when they mention them;

*   users in both groups are seen by others as fanatic (this is not true, the fact is
    that people who own other products are all crazy);

*   both companies have put out products with failings that came to light after the
    product was in use, and both companies made modifications to fix those
    problems;

*   both make products that have useful lifetimes greater than forty years.

Now if I can ever stabilize the LO in my R75/5 I'll be able to focus on the clunky
gearbox in my Omni VI.

Jan, KX2A