[TenTec] Triton 540 low audio on SSB??

Ynkedragon@aol.com Ynkedragon at aol.com
Sun Apr 3 20:14:48 EDT 2005

In a message dated 4/3/2005 12:14:45, wb2vuf at qsl.net writes:

<< > At 10:51 AM 3/29/05, you wrote:

>> I ordered a hand mike from Ten-Tec and got on SSB last night for the
>>first time since buying the rig.  I get on 80 meters and can barely be
heard.

> If your new mike is one of their electret types, (lo-Z) you need to try a
> Hi-Z type such as the D-104 you mentioned.  Better match to the audio input
> circuit and consequently more audio. >>

The older Ten-Tec's (and the 540 certainly qualifies) perform VERY well with
a Shure 444D set for Hi-Z.  The D-104 (also Hi-Z) is OK, but not as good as
the 444.  Other older Hi-Z mikes would also work well with the 540, and would
give you lots of audio.   It's often possible to find a great Hi-Z mike at a
hamfest for a few bucks.

73, Blair K3YD