[TenTec] Orion and Keyers

Lee Crocker w9oy at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 4 08:45:08 EDT 2005

I designed a keyer in the early 70's as an excercise
using a few CMOS chips.  I found I couldn't send
accurate code with it until I ran the clock speed 10x
the sending speed and used a ripple counter to pick
off my timing signals.  At 10x the timing variations
were small enough that the paddle release could occur
during a period where  the dot or dash memory would
not set.  It basically gave something like 5 count
period where I could release the paddle and not set
the memory and a 5 count period where I could release
the paddle and set the memory.  I don't know much
about modern single chip or PIC keyers but my guess is
something like this is going on.

As to keyers I use a Logikey CMOS 4.  I have other
keyers  but I keep coming back to my logikey.  I
brought the switches out to one of those 40x60 mm
rectangular mint tins which sits between the POD and
the paddle.  Saturday I received from Begali a
beautiful little switchbox that now fulfills that
function   K1EL's winKey is also excellent if you want
keyboard and paddle.

73  W9OY