[TenTec] Paragon Info Needed

Vic Klein vhklein at ptd.net
Wed Apr 6 07:45:55 EDT 2005

Besides the control language differences already mentioned, The Paragon II
includes AM transmit, which was not available on the original model. The
very early models of the original Paragon had some soldering issues that
resulted in some problems in the major and minor loop circuits for the first
users. Users usually either got replacements through Ten Tec or resoldered
the connections themselves, but you might want to check to see the status.
Ten Tec can still do the appropriate repairs, I understand.

That being said, the original Paragon is one of the best values available on
the used market. According to the Ten Tec literature, it has the same RF
circuitry as an Omni V, but with a general coverage receiver. It can quickly
be set up (by clipping a well-marked jumper) to operate on 60m, and has all
the memories, filters, and audio controls to make receiving a pleasure. The
filters are the same as used in other modern TT radios and are readily
available, but watch for units with other options like the RS-232 board, FM
board, or voice board which will add value. While the original control
software was unique to Ten Tec and not widely supported, I found my logging
program (HyperLog) was already set up to read the radio data automatically
and I have written a control program using the original Basic version from
Ten Tec as a base that does just about anything I want to do from the
computer except be able to read the S-meter. Good luck!

=Vic=
WA4THR