[TenTec] real CW ops

w8au@sssnet.com w8au at sssnet.com
Sat Apr 9 21:03:38 EDT 2005

At 03:10 PM 4/9/05, Ken Brown wrote:

>I TYPE LIKE CW SUMTIMES WHEN EMAILING ES PEOPLE TELL ME TO STOP
>SHOUTING.

Yes, Ken.... I thought it humorous when someone asked (about yours or
someone else's email that was ALL CAPS)..."why are you shouting?" :-)

Never thought about ALL CAPS as "shouting" before....and I have to give the
complainers credit for being imaginative!   :-)  It's obvious they have no
knowledge of communications typewriters or 5 level baudot code teletype
machines.  (all caps)

(TenTec content: feeding FSK audio from my old Triton 4 into a RTTY TU to
print on a model 15 and 19)

I think the Navy Radiomen that pounded away at those communications MILLS
during four hour shifts would get a good laugh, also....  "Say what?"  :-)

Those MILLS enabled an efficient transfer of information from receiver to
brain to fingers to paper, and all without having to waste time hitting a
"shift" key.

Somewhere in the annals of history there were some specifications sent to
Underwood, Remington and Smith-Corona about producing those machines
without lower case.   Trivia that we will never read about.... (sigh) :-)

Smart people, our predecessors....

Perry   w8au