[TenTec] Real CW

K7NHB k7nhb at quickdata.com
Wed Apr 13 13:45:41 EDT 2005

To pass my 23 wpm General Class I tried Ameco code records. But I
soon had the record memorized. I didn't have a receiver so about the
only code practice I got was taking the test - 13 times. Every month
I'd get out of school early and catch the bus downtown to the FCC
building.

In hindsight, maybe the FCC kept a folder of my applications and it
just got too thick. They knew I was never going to stop coming by. Or
perhaps I did finally get 65 letters correct in a row.

Of course with youthful optimism I'd study the theory every time. So
by the thirteen time I had that down pretty solid.

Now I have my Extra Class, but I feel passing a 20 wpm test will
really be earning it. So I listen to the ARRL code practice sessions
in the late afternoon and try to copy in my head as I go to sleep
(work grave yard shift). I can copy the Bulletins at 18 wpm in a "get
two words, then get excited about that and miss the next one" ratio -
but when I tried writing it down I could see that getting 100
characters correct all in a row is still a bit of work.

Even 13 wpm, which is now no problem at the casual level, still
demands attention to get 65 characters straight without error.

I've read posts where people consider the "age" of the ham in
considering their sending. I've been out of the hobby for about 30
years so though my old 1X3 call has some history, with CW I'm just as
green as a Novice.....I guess that would now be a Tech. Plus.

73,
Paul, K7NHB