[TenTec] LDG tuners

w8au@sssnet.com w8au at sssnet.com
Thu Apr 14 23:48:53 EDT 2005

At 11:30 PM 4/14/05, Robert Carroll wrote:
>I bought my Orion with the tuner installed but did not expect to use it
>often and have not done so.  However the few times I have used it I did
>notfeel it did a very good job.  It seemed to give up around 1.2-1.4 to 1
>on impedances easily handled by a manual tuner

This is normal for the relay switched auto tuners.  Even the "standard of
comparison" SGC 230 will stop when it reaches 2/1 SWR unless you strap it
for 1.5/1 and then there may be times when it won't be able to get it that
close.  The older motor driven L and C tuners were totally "variable" as
opposed to the newer relay driven "stepped" tuners and stood a better
chance of finding a lower SWR.

Practically speaking, 2/1 will give you about as much "on air" signal
as a perfect match, and a "radio user" (not an electronics type) will not
notice the discrepancy anyway.  (ie: Marine shipboard use)

The reason for the new style relay driven tuners is cost, obviously. Add to
that less maintenance.  Such is the state of the art.....

Perry  w8au