[TenTec] boost mobile voltage?

fred toth fctoth at attglobal.net
Tue Apr 19 18:47:26 EDT 2005

Bob,

This is a common problem for which there are two solutions:

1- use the battery booster

2-  put in much bigger battery cable -- like awg No 4 cable.  Believe
it or not, when you are drawing 20 amps the loss (amp squared times
resistance) is huge with cable that is not extremely low loss.  I
found no 12 gauge or no 10 gauge simply too lossy. (you can find
resistance tables on the internet, and measure length of the cable as
the round trip distance to /from the battery). Also, replace the
in-line fuses with contact switches, which are much less lossy
(although more expensive).

I have been operating mobile for 10 years now with a Delta II xcvr
from Ten Tec.  I love the rig and it performs well with my option 2
solution.  (I am thinking about getting the battery booster for future
mobile setups).

Good luck and 73,

Fred K6KX