[TenTec] Serial Numbers for Omni

Williams, Barry Bnwilliams at varco.com
Mon Apr 25 15:46:20 EDT 2005

Is there a site with estimated production dates vs. serial numbers, or
even a description of how Ten Tec develops serials?  My Omni VI+
(definitely a VI+, not an upgraded VI) has a serial starting with 10A1,
I noticed that the Omni VI just offered for sale starts with 11A1.  I
then looked at the serial numbers on Omnis that were tested by QST.  The
Omni V they tested in 1990 had a serial starting with 23A1, the Omni VI
they tested in 1993 had a serial starting with 40A1.  The serial on the
VI+ tested in 1997 started with 03A10.  Does anyone know how to estimate
production date from serial number?  Does Ten Tec start a new model with
01A1xxxx and increase the first two numbers with each batch they run,
then start over at 01A1xxxx for the next model?

I am fairly new to Ten Tec, attracted by the Orion, but deciding to try
the Omni VI+ first since the performance is pretty similar, and must
state that their support is as good as I had heard, and the sound of CW
in a pile up on the VI+ is much better than anything else I have owned.
(FT-1000D, IC-781, IC-756 PROII) After trying the VI+ I purchased a
"Cube" with a Titan and 2 kw auto antenna tuner.  When I removed the
Titan from the cube, I noticed that the side screws had been changed and
the feet and bail were gone.  I called Ten Tec and received the parts in
a couple of days at no charge.

Thanks,
Barry
KD5VC