[TenTec] Use of "I" versus no numeral

Kevin Anderson k9iua at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 5 09:03:00 EDT 2005

The recent thread on the Paragon and Paragon II highlights
something we just have to accept:  It is human nature to call
the first model "I" after the second model is produced.

That is, when a product is first named, manufacturers won't put
a sequence number on it, as at the time they don't know what
will become of it.  Examples:  Corsair, Argosy, Paragon, Orion.
So, yes, technically there is not a Paragon I.  Yet...

As soon as the successor model comes out (e.g., Paragon II),
people by nature are going to want to stick the "I" back on the
original model, if anything to distinguish when they are
referring to a specific model or generically to the product
line.

It is human nature folks - you won't be able to stop that
behavior no mature how times you try to say that there is no
Paragon I.

After all, when the World War of 1914-1918 occurred, no one knew
there would be a second world war from 1939-1945, yet everyone
accepts today the common use of World War I in reference to that
war. Even the Library of Congress and other librarians use that
as an accepted search category if I am not mistaken.

Besides, which is easier to say - Paragon I or Paragon Model
585?  If someone posts a message saying they are having a
problem with a Paragon, the automatic first reply message is
"which model?", which tells me most people are thinking
"Paragon" as a model line and not a specific model.  To "permit"
one to use "Paragon I," even though it is not technically
correct, allows us to solve problems for people sooner and not
later.

My $0.02.

Cheers/73,
Kevin, K9IUA