[TenTec] Radios suitable for mobile operation

Pete Juliano jessystems at cablespeed.com
Sat Aug 13 13:42:47 EDT 2005

Hi Ten Tec Users,

I have been doing a little research on radios that might fill a role in a mobile operating environment. In looking over the various resources it becomes clear all the radios seem to have a problem. I note that even the venerable IC 706 has problems on certain frequencies. Since this will be for occassional use, I do not require something with a lot of bells and whistles.

That choice really becomes very narrow. I have had both an Argosy II and a Scout. I never used these mobile but both of those rigs had limitations. I think the Scout likes to see more than 13 volts and of course the well known CW problem. Both had the noise blanker option and I must admit the Scout seemed to do a pretty fair job on local noise albeit not in an automobile. So the question: Those of you that run mobile and considering these two rigs which would be better between the two. Secondly based on that selection am I kidding myself that hardly any radio works in the mobile environment. The intended home will be a Jeep Wrangler.

Thanks for any help --Glad also to see the heat has cooled down on the Orion II. I do have a Triton IV but it is too big for the Jeep.

Pete W6JFR