[TenTec] FW: 565 Orion v2.0 firmware released to beta testers

Dick Green WC1M wc1m at msn.com
Thu Aug 25 13:57:19 EDT 2005

I think Bob put it better than I could. I don't need a written agreement,
either. Ask to join the beta test group if you feel you can contribute.

Perhaps chaos was too strong a word. Different users have different
priorities on what should be fixed, enhanced, etc. Judging from past traffic
on this reflector, I can imagine a lot of crabbing about someone's personal
bugaboo not getting fixed or implemented. The contentious tone of your posts
on this subject is exactly what I would expect, multiplied by dozens, if
Orion betas or their contents were to be made generally available.

As I mentioned before, the engineers may try something new on an
experimental basis, but decide to remove it for the final release. Trouble
is, people will develop expectations about what will or will not be in the
release, and tend not to respond well when their expectations aren't met. In
other words, it's not a good idea to jerk large numbers of people around
during a rapidly changing process like beta testing.

I'm not familiar with AOL's beta testing procedures, but different companies
have different meanings for the phrase "beta test", ranging from "hot off
the press" to "almost fully tested". The "public" beta tests I've seen from
other companies tend to be software that has been vigorously alpha tested by
large teams of QA testers, and then perhaps pre-beta tested by key
customers. What gets to the public is usually very well debugged and the
manufacturer is trying to flush out the obscure stuff.

Obviously, TT doesn't have the resources to fund a big QA team (wanna pay a
lot more for your radio?) Further, it would be difficult and expensive for
an internal QA team to test every variation of Orion hardware (there have
been engineering changes over time.) Also, I would contend that beta testing
an Orion requires considerably more technical expertise than testing a
release of AOL's software. How many Orion owners out there have spectrum
analyzers, oscilloscopes, frequency counters, etc., and know how to use
them? How would the average Orion owner react to significant problems with a
beta test version? IMHO, not well.

I just don't think it's a good idea to make Orion betas generally available
or pre-disclose what will be in the final release. This requires owners to
be more patient and trusting, but is to their advantage in the long run.
Note that TT has consistently improved the Orion firmware ever since the
initial release. How many times have you gotten an update for your Yaesu,
Icom or Kenwood radio?

It's not my place to defend the practice, but I agree with it. 'Nuff said.

73, Dick WC1M