[TenTec] Fw: Problem with Paragon I

Phil Chambley, Sr. k4dpk at comcast.net
Sat Aug 27 18:46:22 EDT 2005

Bob's references to the effect of unstable voltage on the uProcessor
reminded me that, about 6 months after I got my first Paragon, the logic
board began behaving really squirrelly.

Dotted lines, lock-ups and every LED lit were the symptoms as I recall.

Turned out, some of the early matching power supplies had the filter caps
mounted with #10-32 screws through the PC board.  Evidently, transformer
vibration (or something) had loosened the screws, making for arcing due to
intermittent contact between the filter cap and the board foil.

Cure was to re-build the foil with brass shim stock, since it had been
pretty well burned away by the time I found it.  After repair, never
happened again.

Since then, I have repaired several others that had loose power connections
in various forms, even at the Molex connector.  All of these were first
thought to have Logic Board problems.

73

Phil
K4DPK
www.k4dpk.com
VFO Stabilizers and PEP adapters for wattmeters...