[TenTec] Question About ALC on Corsair II

OTAKEBI@aol.com OTAKEBI at aol.com
Mon Aug 29 13:20:17 EDT 2005

The other day, I was on SSB 10 meters, at full output of 80 watts, which is
all my Corsair II does on 10 meters and I was told I was distorting on  peaks.
The ALC LED does not light on 10 meters because it is set to light at 14.05
at 100 watts as the factory manual recommends.
When I turned down the ALC control so the light just began to blink I was
told the distortion on peaks went away.
Do you Corsair II guys turn down the ALC pot so that the ALC indicator
blinks even if the band you are on does not produce 100 watts output?
I noticed that turning the ALC pot down until it starts to blink did  not
reduce the 80 watts output in the CW tune mode.
And, I get full output on all bands with over 100 watts on 80 meters so I  do
not think my finals are going bad.
I also rechecked the adjustment on the low level driver board and it is set
as per manual.
The LED light turns fully bright on 14.05 @ 100 watts.
Have any of you on the list heard of this problem before or has it been
driver error on my part because I did not understand the ALC's controls  function?
Thanks in advance,
Dan/N4VET