[TenTec] Orion vs SDR-1000

Martin, AA6E martin.ewing at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 17:01:38 EDT 2005

Seems to me that the open source software development for the SDR-1000
is a big plus with few negatives.  You get faster development (more
man-hours of development and test), faster bugfixes, and lots of
creative exchange among users & programmers all for minimum cost to
the manufacturer.  TT and other vendors, take note!

[Have you looked at the great open source applications and development
software you can get free?  OpenOffice.org, gcc, the GIMP, and many
more.  The commercial equivalents could cost you $1,000+.]

I understood the problem with CW is the relatively slow T/R switchover
time, preventing QSK.   I am not sure where it comes from, whether
long DSP processing pipelines, soundcard issues, or what.  It should
get better as people refine the software.

K5KVH commented that the SDR-1000 is just a QRP rig with a power amp
bolted on.  Doesn't that describe the Orion or any other 100 W rig?  I
agree that the SDR is not as well integrated as an operational radio
as standard rigs are.  It would appeal to experimenters, I think.
Kind of like ham radio?  hi.

73 Martin AA6E