[TenTec] Centurion

Gary Hoffman ghoffman at spacetech.com
Sat Dec 10 21:52:49 EST 2005

I have two observations about all this, or perhaps I should call them
questions.

First of all, I thought a tube was supposed to be pumped down to a very good
vacuum and then completely sealed.  Thus there should not be gas leaking in.
It should not accumulate over time.  If it does, its gone bad.  Is this not
so ?

Secondly, I thought the getter was used once, when it was "fired" at the
factory.  I did not believe that it was at all functional beyond that single
use.  Is this not so ?

I've never read before about turning on an amp for a long time after a
period of disuse, to "clean up gas" in the tubes.  Has anyone else (besides
the original poster here) ?  I have heard of course about reforming the
electrolytics after a period of disuse.  Could we inadvertently be confusing
these two different concepts ?

73 de Gary, AA2IZ