[TenTec] Centurion

Phil Chambley, Sr. k4dpk at comcast.net
Mon Dec 12 20:19:30 EST 2005

Re 3-500Z problems....Johnson 275 and similar sockets:

I2R losses due to poor contact between filament pins and socket grippers
result in melting solder out of the pins.
This, no doubt, caused many tubes to be discarded before it became known how
to correct the problem.

The same heat that melts the solder causes the gripper spring to lose its
temper, so the gripper doesn't squeeze the pin as tight.  If this isn't
corrected, the problem will simply recur.

After repairing the tube pin, I swap the gripper springs from one of the
grids to the offending filament gripper on the socket.   Squeeze them both
tight before installing, and make sure the grippers are all cleaned.  I use
a .22 caliber bore brush.

73
Phil K4DPK

VFO Stabilizers and other gadgets www.k4dpk.com