[TenTec] What happened to your Orion I?

Robert Higgins rwhiggins at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 22 00:29:30 EST 2005

> For you folks getting Orion II's, what have you done with your Orion I (if
> you had one)? Did you send it in to Ten Tec months ago (as a trade-in) or
> are you just now sending it in as you learned the Orion II is ready to be
> shipped to you?
>
> Mark KA4ICK

Sent it to Ten Tec in trade when I ordered the OII in July. Was moving and
this was one less thing to worry about. Didn't expect it would be almost 5
months before I saw the O II but I have a FT1000MP as back up. Incidently,
I'm thinking of selling the MP next year and getting another O II for SO2R.

So far comparing the O and the O II, the color display is great, the
spectrum scope is actually usable, and the receiver is at least as good. I
want to say better but the O is gone so no A/B comparison. Also I have
learned how to use the combination of AGC, RF Gain, AF Gain, and ATTN which
really lets me hear stuff I wasn't before, so this may have worked as well
on the O. Also I had Inrad filter sin the O and Inrad makes a great product
but I've been really happy with the performance of the Ten Tec 1.8, 600, and
300 filters. Can't wait to try them out in a contest.

So far the only negative was the UPS guy delivered the radio literally as my
wife and I were walking out the door to go to dinner with our daughter and
son-in-law. Longest dinner of my life!

73
Bob K4LW