[TenTec] Hercules 444 amp

Mike Hyder -N4NT- n4nt_m_o_hyder at charter.net
Thu Dec 22 07:56:06 EST 2005

When mine caught fire, they had to fabricate two new boards I believe.  The
closest transistors they could get to the originals had higher gain and were
thus more prone to self-oscillation (the malady that started the fire in my
amp).  They lowered the gain with minor circuit modifications but cautioned
me that they wouldn't work on it or any other Hercules 444 in the future.
This was *well* over 10 years ago, probably 15-18 years.  I didn't own that
amp very long.

I sold it to a fellow who intended to remove the RF strips and replace them
with some Motorola units.  I don't know if he did that or not but it would
be an excellent change.

73 and Merry Christmas,
Mike N4NT