[TenTec] 1254 Q-Multiplier... Yes. Add a signal strenght meter too and replace those 1N4148s in the 2nd Mixer!

Bwana Bob wb2vuf at qsl.net
Wed Dec 28 10:22:11 EST 2005

Yes, the 1254 provides a great foundation for modification or
experimentation.

I put an RCA jack on the rear panel for muting the receiver, but I have
not yet tried it with a transmitter. I might modify it to just cut the
gain down, so it can be used as a sidetone monitor.

I'm pursuing low-cost filter options because many of the filters on the
market cost half as much as the whole receiver. The Kiwa filters look
like a good choice. I also saw a 6 kHz filter on the surplussales web
site. The stock 4 kHz filter is a little narrow for pleasant shortwave
broadcast listening (such as it it is). I'm thinking of putting in a 6
kHz filter for broadcasts and something narrower for SSB and CW. The
narrowest low-cost filters I have seen are about 3 kHz. Maybe I could
make a good cw filter with a couple of those little plastic 455 kHz
ceramic resonators. I did find a schematic for a solid-state
Q-multiplier in the 1970 Handbook, but I'm  a little skeptical about the
design. I think the design in the 1964 Handbook was better, but I don't
have my 1964 Handbook anymore! Right now, I have no plans to hook up the
Heath QF-1 to the Ten Tec, though it would be pretty funny and might
work well.

I think that the 1254 is one of Ten-Tec's better kept secrets. Sure, its
more expensive than the average shortwave portable, and it lacks the
bells and whistles, but its a very solid design, in my opinion.

				73,

				Bob WB2VUF

On the S-meter, I was thinking of adding an outboard meter, but your LED
idea is better. One could also use one of those LED bargraph driver
chips. They can be set for a linear or log response.

There are more 1254 mods on the Morse Express web site
(http://www.morsex.com/articles.htm), like shielding to reduce display
hash, display shutoff, hiss filter, etc.