[TenTec] ORIONII_INTERNAL_AT_TUNER

J.Reed jhreed at chilitech.net
Sat Dec 31 21:00:26 EST 2005

Put the balun in backwards?
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX
  To: w2yj at highstream.net ; Tentec
  Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2005 8:17 PM
  Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORIONII_INTERNAL_AT_TUNER

  George:

  First from my point of view, 4:1 baluns should not be used in this
  application.  I wouldn't expect it to work.  Based on your antenna/feedline
  configuration the actual feed Z of the antenna may be more near 25 ohms.
  Thus with a 4:1 balun the load the tuner must match is 25/4 or 6.5 ohms.
  Very few if any tuners will match efficiently below about 15 ohms.

  You should be using a 1:1 current balun in all applications, all
  configurations.  The 4:1 balun should reside in the trash can.

  History:  4:1 baluns became popular due to hams making folded dipoles from
  TV type line or open wire line.  In this configuration the resonant feed Z
  is more like 200 to 300 ohms.  Thus with a 4:1 balun the load to the
  transmitter is in the order or 50 to 75 ohms which is great for most
  transmitters with those being link coupled outputs or with the new pi
  networks.

  Happy New Year

  73
  Bob, K4TAX