[TenTec] Jupiter Transceiver

Jerry Volpe kg6tt at tomorrowsweb.com
Thu Feb 3 20:38:10 EST 2005

John:

I did own a new Jupiter with autotuner. After about four months I traded
it for an Omni-VI+. For me it was a sincere trade-up. A search of this
reflector on this subject will get you many comments regarding the
Jupiter. Most of them very favorable. It definitely depends on your
interests. I sometimes think about getting another Jupiter but never as
my primary rig as it really isn't designed for difficult signal
reception conditions.

I have some experience with the 746 Pro. Now if you were talking about a
756 (basic or Pro) I'd probably suggest you lean in that direction as it
has some nice CW features which the 746 Pro does not. I would definitely
give the Jupiter the node for CW use over the 746. The Jupiter sounds
nice on SSB too so you won't suffer there either.

You might want to look around for a New Old Stock Icom Pro II. It will
cost you about the same as a Jupiter with autotuner and external keypad
(really needed) and is a superior rig to the Jupiter. Although if you
are really into computer control the Jupiter has a extra capabilities
(hense N4PY's great software... among many). I work in the computer
field and that was one of the reasons why I bought the Jupiter in the
first place.... however, in practice what I discovered was that all I
personally needed was the ability to link rig control into my logging
and DX Spot programs which my Omni-VI+  and TS-940SAT do nicely (but my
Paragon does not).

The preceeding comments fall under the category of 'for what it is worth'.

73,
Jerry, KG6TT