[TenTec] TT (Orion) Future improvements!!!

Richard Detweiler rdetweil at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 14 12:39:49 EST 2005

On the subject of PC radiso, It would be interesting to see how many radio
operators would like a PC like radio,

I don't think the market would be very wide.  So the costs would be
enormous,  There has to be a 'major' demand to over come the costs of R&D to
bring all these 'cards' to market.  It doesn't exist so it isn't going to
happen soon.

We have a company here, that makes just such high end radios for the
military on HF.  A Ham is on the R&D Management there.  It is using mix and
match boards,  can monitor multiple frequences at once, is DSP based and is
computer controlled.  The R&D on this is huge and the single board price
would equal 45 Orions.

I personally prefer the knobs.  PC control of the knobs still has a delay
which always makes me overshoot the right prosition,  Knobs just seem to
give me better control.  Even if it is remote from the radio.

So, if a radio has all the knobs for controls,  is priced for a somewhat
serious HAM, then we are back at the Orion type of radio.

To be first in a product is a big risk, you are revealing your technology,
and you are hoping to hit the price correctly for profit as there is no
previous product with that price to compare with.

I think Ten Tec hit the mark for the product at the time it was released.  I
remember the sticker shock at 3300.  Now with the others, its not so
shocking.

My comments to an active discussion.

Best 73's
Rich