[TenTec] re: TT (Orion) Future improvements!!

John Farler jfarler at peoplepc.com
Mon Feb 14 13:52:54 EST 2005

I don't presently have an Orion...it's always a consideration
should my trusty Omni V give up the ghost, or the temptation
to spend more money take over.  It's not altogether
a matter of price, but I could just as well use one without the
extra rx or the band monitor.  The question of the color display
panel makes me laugh.

My newest Ten-Tec is an Argo V, which is a nice little rig -
not up to the Omni V, of course, but the DSP filtering is
impressive.  I traded in a "jumpy" scout for it.

Anyhow, I just have a gripe about the overall physical design...
the Ten-Tecs
are starting to look like the Jap black boxes.  Would like an
aluninum face like the Omni or different colors like the older
rigs.  Someone lately said a certain rig looked like "a VCR on
steroids," which I find to be a very accurate description of the
looks of  present ham gear.  Put one in a Best Buy or other
consumer electronics store among what's available,and you might
not notice it's ham gear without a close examination.

The lettering on the controls on the black boxes is hard to see, but
it may be because my eyesight is worse, and I have to look
closely to see the lettering. But it could be done better.
The entire ham population is getting older, you know.

I'm kinda waiting for the first Chinese build rig, since ham
gear appears to be merging with consumer stuff, replete with
bells and whistles, some signifying not much in improving
actual radio operation.  Wouldn't it be great to get a ham
transceiver, say at the level of a TS-570 or a Jupiter
for $99.95, with a throw-away warranty?

Yeah, this is a little tongue-in-cheek, but look what happened
to TV's, VCR's, computers, and DVD players, etc.  If the exams
get any easier, our Chinese friends may find ham radio a profitable
market to take over when there are mobs of hams cruising the
local Wal-Mart.

Excuse me for not including the source of the two posts below,
which set me off.  I've noticed the inclusion of gimmicky, likely
little used, "features" on HT's to keep the price inflated above
what one is actually worth, less than $100.  Just don't try to
operate any of these wide-rx wonders where there's the slightest
chance for intermod. HF rigs seem to have picked up on the same
idea of new features to jack up the price........

I think it's another chance for TT to differentiate their gear
from the pack, by getting away from the black box syndrone, and
concentrating on making the best performing gear at a reasonable
price.  They have been doing the second, and it's probably a
miracle they can compete with the "level playing field" brought
about by our trade agreements around the world.  Wait 'til slave
labor hits the ham market.

Back in my hole....maybe I'll get that Orion soon.  Wouldn't want any
other new black box, anyway.

73, John, K4AVX
jfarler at peoplepc.com

--