[TenTec] TT (Orion) Future improvements!!!

Duane - N9DG n9dg at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 14 14:26:06 EST 2005

--- NJ0IP <Rick at DJ0IP.de> wrote:

> Lee, it sounds like you want to compel the user to use a
> computer all the
> time.  I think 95% of us hams don't want that.  We want a
> stand-alone radio
> that is fully functional without a computer.

Judging by the booth attendance observations and comments
posted here for the Orlando hamfest I would say 95% is way
too high, I'll bet it's closer to only 50%, with many of them
wanting the option for both.

> Sorry, but I think you're off base here.  People who want
> to play with that
> stuff should simply buy themselves a flex radio and have at
> it.

We are, and looking at the many familiar calls from here over
on the Flex-radio website discussion area it is clear to me
Ten Tec is *really* missing the boat here. Not only are they
not capturing new customers who do want extensive PC
integration; they are beginning to lose existing customers.
The money I spent on the SDR-1000 could have been another Ten
Tec; bottom line is it wasn't. Frankly the SDR-1000 is the
most fun radio I have bought since the first Pegasus.

Ironically it is the Pegasus that really set the wheels into
motion for me wanting even more PC integration. Sure SDR-1000
has a number of warts and shortcomings but it excels in some
areas that no other radios that I have can come close to. And
new versions of software (at least experimental ones) come
out every 2-3 weeks or so. You have not heard recovered audio
cleanliness until you've listened to an SDR-1000.

And those who think the Pegasus wasn't successful I disagree,
you hear plenty of them on the air. And how many more
essentially run their Jupiters like a Pegasus and rarely use
the front panel at all? Or even Orion's in this mode? Hear
and read that comment all the time too.

Duane
N9DG