[TenTec] New Rig Suggestion

joel hallas jrhallas at optonline.net
Mon Feb 14 17:23:23 EST 2005

Mark,

You have a great list of features, but I think it would be tough to
deliver at that price. The closest I've seen is the IC-718 that I bought
for my YL (W1NCY) when she got her General license a few yrs back. It
wasn't much above your price point and does almost everything you ask
except:

- not great with close in strong signals
- only has room for one additional filter and it's extra. but does have
reasonable selectivity for casual AM as well as SSB, so $155 for an
Inrad CW filter and you're good to go.
- doesn't have a built in tuner, but I have an SGC unit in the basement
that puts her on my rhombic whenever she wants.

It's also easy for a beginner to operate.

Now if I could just get her to turn it on <g>! Actually, I take it on
vacation, so all is not lost!

73 & GL in your quest!

Joel, W1ZR