[TenTec] Good faith & John Swisher KE4CCI (long)

Joe Malloy jmalloy at stny.rr.com
Tue Feb 15 09:02:11 EST 2005

Chuck Guenther wrote:

Alas, Chuck, I don't think that's it -- at least not if my 40 years as a
ham are an indication.  When I got my General in 1965 I was really happy
-- all lay open before me!  In the summer of 1966 my father bought me an
HE-45b from the Lafayette store in Syosset, NY, where I was to work for
a summer some years later.  I soon found being limited to a single
transmit frequency was tough (just one crystal!) so I located a fellow
ham (who call I forget) in Massachusetts who had a Johnson 6N2 VFO for
sale and send the money.  He let me know it had arrived and ... a story
like the Swischer Saga ensued.  Mine had a different ending, for after
repeated (and I mean *repeated*) letters (no email in the stone age),
the guy finally relented -- at a time (some six months later) when I had
pretty much lost interest in voice work and went on over to the Bright
Side (CW) completely.  The fellow in question was retired -- and you'd
think his set of morals was tempered by the depression and so on, but
for six long months it didn't seem to matter.  No excuse from him, just
a box with the VFO *finally* arrived.

I think all ages and times have essentially the same character -- it's
our perspective of our own that's shifting, not the public values.

But I may be wrong....

73,

Joe, W2RBA