[TenTec] New Rig Suggestion

Mark Erbaugh mark at microenh.com
Tue Feb 15 08:29:57 EST 2005

> I severely doubt Ten Tec could make a profit at $500.
> They don't sell in the quantities Icom does and
> certainly don't have much in the way of sales in Japan
> which still has about twice as many licensed hams as
> the U.S.  I think their presence in international ham
> markets is limited at best.

You may be right, but unless someone asks, it may never be tried. While not
a true apples-to-apples comparison, look at tremendous drop in consumer
electronics prices.  Perhaps some of that technology could find it's way
into my "starter" rig.

> Saddled?  Hmmm...  I posted this as part of a longer
> post to QRP-F a few days ago.  Perhaps it deserves a
> repeat here:

Don't misunderstand me - I'm a big fan of QRP.  I think it's fine for CW and
for the new digital modes (i.e. PSK31). However for SSB, the higher power
would really help for longer QSO's.  And a new ham is certainly going to
want to have a ragchew.

> Calling CQ at QRP power levels is often a waste of
> time.  Tail ending or answering CQs usually isn't.
> Were you blessed with a good antenna?  Not having that
> and running QRP certainly doesn't help.  I also think
> the elmer makes all the difference in the world.  I'm
> also capable of patience at times :)

I didn't have a good antenna. Let me add, that most of the attempts were
SSB.  This was before PSK31 and I wasn't doing much with CW. A QRP elmer
would have been nice. Most of my ham friends at the time were QRO guys.

> You have a pretty impressive list of features there.
> Please remember than Ten Tec is in business to make a
> profit, first and foremost.  I think the Argonaut V is
> a wonderful starter rig or a rig for the seasoned ham.
>  Perhaps when finances are a bit more stable I'll
> finally break down and buy one.

I know that TenTec needs to make a profit. I just hope that my suggestion
will get some folks thinking. You never know, there might be a way to do it.
It would be great if TenTec could figure that out and reap huge profits in
the bargain.

My concern about the Argonaut V for a starter rig is the power (or lack
thereof).  When I had an Argonaut V, I tried for several weeks to check into
the TenTec SDR net (40m SSB), but no one could hear me.  I do have a pretty
good antenna now (Carolina Windom 160).  It's also a little above my target
price and lacks an automatic antenna tuner (which would add another $100).

But the Argonaut V is clearly on the path to that starter rig. Maybe TenTec
could find a way to up the power, add an antenna tuner and drop the price.

73,
Mark