[TenTec] RE: Good Faith and John Swisher KE4CCI

K5lxz at wmconnect.com K5lxz at wmconnect.com
Tue Feb 15 13:37:44 EST 2005

Hello All,
For the record, I had a problem with Mr John Swisher, KE4CCI at the same time
that
Rick did in November/December.   The difference was that I did not ship any
filters to him.   He agreed to my price but took so much time after that to
respond that I sold one of the filters in the mean time.   Then he agreed to take
the 2 remainiing filters and told me on a thursday that he would send a
postal money order on friday.  He emailed me saturday that he would send it out
monday.  To make a long story shorter, the money order never arrived and he did
NOT respond to my request for the money order serial number.   Then he told me
as he did Rick that he would put a trace on the first one and immediately send
another(he also indicated that he appreciated my patience and that he was
either going to buy my filters or buy them direct from Ten Tec).  Well, the
second one did not arrive either and at this time he quit responding to emails.
So, I reposted and sold one of the remaining 2 and still have one for sale, hi
hi.   Even thou I did not send him anything, he beat me out of a sale because
right after he said he wanted my three(3) filters another guy also indicated he
wanted them.  I told the second person they were sold and in the mean time
the second guy found them else where and I lost his sale.   I advised Mr Swisher
that I was a retired Postmaster and that postal money orders are extremely
safe because even if they are lost, stolen and cashed by a theif that the Post
Service will make them good to the purchaser.   BUT, the Purchaser has to make
claim and either a copy of the money order receipt or money order serial
number is required.

     I want to advise list members that if you are defrauded thru the U S
Mail that you should report it to your local Postmaster or call the Postal
Inspectors.   The amount of money is not important,   The U S Mail is NOT to be used
to defraud any person and if reported the postal inspectors will deal with
it.   This is why I only send and only like to accept Postal money orders.
When you receive a Postal money order take it to your post office and the window
clerk can check immediately to see if it is stolen.   Should it be stolen but
has not made their list and they cash it you are not liable but you will be
questioned as to where it came from and who etc.

     It is sad that Rick had to learn in this manner.   But, the world has
changed in my life time.  There was the day when a hand shake meant a lot.  In
this day, you may have a person sign a stack of papers a foot high, but, if
this person is dirty then his signature does not mean a thing.   Less than 2
weeks ago I sold a Collins 30L1 to a guy in Brooklyn and sent it to him before his
money order arrived.  In this case he emailed me, telephoned me and was
prompt to respond.  Sure enough his money order arrived just as he said it would.
Most hams are honest, put their money where their mouth is, type people, but
a few are not.

     I was not going to say anything about my experience with Mr John
Swisher, KE4CCI but wanted the list to know that Rick was not alone.
73s to all and good DX,

Ray
W5EW