[TenTec] Herc II and 9420 duty cycle

JACrux G3JAG at patents.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Feb 21 05:27:50 EST 2005

My 9420 sits under the bench on a couple of wooden rails, just clear of the
carpet, in a very confined space. I do not have any added provision for
cooling.  I have never burnt my feet on it, and the cat does not come out
smoking. Which bits are getting so hot ???
But the 9420 I saw a while back in the repair shop at TenTec had no lid on; it
had current meters for each of the four output rails .... and there was also
a large fan blowing (as I recall it ...) air into the thing ! You do not
really need the meters unless you are trouble shooting the Herc finals, but
if your 9420 gets THAT hot then maybe you need to make a custom top cover
fitted with an extractor fan, as long as enough cool air can get in there to
be extracted. If you cannot get enough airflow with the lid on, then maybe
the only answer is to run with the lid off, TT repair shop style, and have a
fan blowing into the open top ?  Anyone got any better ideas ?
John G3JAG